Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What's the saying about good intentions?

A couple months ago I was daydreaming and thought the idea would make a good story.  I developed the story by asking myself, "How did these characters get in this situation?"  Then I wrote, not caring if it were good or bad.  I just wrote to get the words out.  I'm about 100 pages into it, and it feels wrong.  I can't make the connections.  The more I develop the book, the outcome is so far removed from the original idea.  It's clear, in my mind, what I need to do.  I need to keep the original idea for later, and finish the new story. 

What happened with this story echos real life.  Starting out with best intentions, only to have something go wrong, and end up trying to fix it.  Nothing is beyond fixing.  In the end, I think the newly fixed outcome will be better than the original intended outcome.  At least, that's the thought that keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment