Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Craftsmanship

One of the alarming things I'm learning about myself through this project is that I really do need some sort of external pressure to complete...anything, apparently. I've always been more task-oriented than goal-oriented, particularly if the tasks were set by someone paying me a salary. As much as I like to say I'm self-directed, the reality is that I'm only that way when I'm on the clock.


I had decided, sort of, that one of my goals this year would be to try to complete a novel by October 31st, which would then free me up to churn out a potboiler during NaNoWriMo. It seemed more than achievable - if I could write a crappy novel in a month, as I have for past NaNos, than surely I could write a good book in ten months.

It turns out, writing, regularly and with care, is really, really hard. I've never had to do it before; in the past I could churn out papers, essays, and stories quickly and with minimal effort.

Now, though, I'm putting a lot more care and work into it, and it's going at a snail's pace, to the point where it's borderline disheartening. It's hard work, and I'm really trying at it now in a way that I never had to before. Proofing, refining, doing outlines and timelines and character backgrounds; researching buildings and towns and professions. I know I can write well; I know I have a handle on the art of it. What I'm learning, painfully, now, is the craft of it. Like any other trade, I need to develop and hone my skills in ways that are not apparent on the surface, and the only way I can do that is through experience.

So it's been a slow go lately for me, but I'm glad that I'm sticking with it. It'd be easy to cheat, or quit, or pretend I lost interest in the project altogether, but I feel I have a bigger responsiblity now. Now just to Jen, my partner in crime, but to me; to achieve this goal I have set for myself. Not just to know that I can do it, but to believe that I will do it.

1 comment:

  1. Joanne and Jenny,
    I believe you both can write and that you both are artists. Try not to measure your art by the finished project. There is much suffering by the artist before he can bring the ideas to life. I am reading your Blog entries and you both are conveying your feelings, thoughts and your journey, and I the gentle reader eagerly wait for more. Ladies, do not give up, do not let a clock or calendar stifle or choke your muse or creativity. You are
    Writers whether you realize it or not.

    ReplyDelete