Monday, May 9, 2011

What I Know For Sure

Write what you know.  I can't count how many times I've read that phrase.  As overused as it is, there must be something to that piece of advice.  I decided to follow it. 

What is it that I know right now?  I know how to fail at a marriage.  I'm pretty damn good at it, actually.  I've failed twice, which is above average.  I don't mean that in a whole, "poor me" way.  It just is.  So, I am writing about that very thing. 

Writing about something that is deeply personal is a little weird, though.  I spend most of my time editorializing what I tell others.  I could rant and rave about the same themes, but in the end it gets a little old.  Instead I self edit what I say to others, as many people do.  Everyone has a filter.  Sometimes, that filter needs to be a little more robust.  In writing a story, I am able to take off that filter and explore the thoughts that I dare not say out loud, for fear of sounding a little off my rocker.  In writing, there is no judgement.  I can explore themes of hurt or longing and not be labeled. 

The experience has been freeing.  In life, I tend to try to see things from another's perspective.  I tend to compromise, which can be good, in the case of resolving a dispute.  It can also be bad, in the case of compromising one's beliefs or happiness.  By removing my filter and allowing myself to freedom to express what is mine alone, I have been able to see things clearly and achieve peace.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment